Monday, July 7, 2014

Using Blogs in the P.E Classroom

I think in this technology heavy era, blogs are a great way for instructors to communicate with parents about what their students are covering in class, what is coming up, any field trips etc. Blogs allow parents to see what is happening in their students' classroom, and to comment on what they see going on. I also believe that blogs can be used as a tool for assignments, or as a way for students to journal about their experiences with a unit or topic. In my classroom I would use a blog as a way for students to turn in written assignments. I would take a class period to go over how to set up and use a blog, and then provide the class with a prompt related to the skill/topic being worked on in class. Students would create a blog and send me a link, and then make weekly posts in response to the given prompts. This would allow me as an instructor to get several different types of feedback using a single medium. I could provide prompts that ask students to give all the information they know about a topic before we begin as a way to gauge prior knowledge, I ask students to provide examples or explanations of the content as a way to gauge understanding, I could ask for feedback about what could have made a particular lesson more effective and/or enjoyable to help me as an instructor know how I could improve for following classes, and I could provide prompts that asks questions about what students would like to see/cover in future units as a way to tailor my lessons using topics and activities that students have a genuine interest in learning to help keep up motivation and participation. The ways blogs are set up also allows for comments, so that as an instructor I can comment on what my students are posting, to correct any incorrect information or misconceptions, or respond to their ideas and questions. Students would also be able to access their peers' blogs, so that they could lean from one another by reading other students' ideas on a topic. They would also be able to post comments and reply to posts to maintain a back-and-forth on the ideas being presented in class; in my mind I see this as a teaching tool were students offer and receive information in a sort of online dialogue.
As an instructor I would also be able to provide links to additional resources that students could utilize, schedules for sporting and activity events so that students and parents could go support peers, and reminders about assignments and copies of the requirements so that students would have a  "back-up plan" if the originals were misplaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment